looking for baudrillard, boorstin, or eco?

dare to hope for what is good
instead of what is merely good enough.
Dead in sin | Saved by grace | Living in hope | Walking by faith | Surviving on a prayer


+ sola scriptura + sola gratia + solus Christus + sola fide + sola Deo gloria +

samedi, septembre 04, 2004

 UPDATED - KillMeNow #7 and #8 - Lift and Ass-kisser

Yesterday, a student got stuck in a lift.


He got out.


Amen.




More backstory >>

Time: Event -0:03
My colleagues and I took a 2 hour lunch break on Friday (TGIF), and got back at around 3pm. We got into the lift, and went our separate ways in the building.

Time: Event +0:01
I cart my shopping booty to my desk and sit down. The next thing I know, frantic knocking (AGAIN?!) at my door. "SOMEONE IS STUCK IN THE LIFT!" my colleague fair shouts at me.

Time: Event +0:02-+0:05
We take off in a sprint to the first floor, to see if turning the lift key works. It doesn't. We call up Sigma Elevators, who installed and maintain the elevator. My colleague (colleague 1) gives my handphone number, and we both look at each other and realise that I do not have my handphone with me. I run upstairs again to get my handphone, and grab the numbers for the whole company's facilities management team off my pinup board. I go outside, and colleague 2 asks me if I have any funky screwdrivers, because we can get the lift door open if I do. The screwdriver needs to be triangular in shape. Obviously, I don't. BECAUSE NOBODY GIVES ME A BUDGET TO BUY ANYTHING USEFUL, LIKE SCREWDRIVERS AND NAILS AND A POWER DRILL, WHICH I REALLY NEED IN THE COURSE OF MY WORK. I call the management team, and they say that they'll send someone down immediately to help.

I run back into my office, and grab my OWN tools, which I carted from my own toolbox AT HOME, and try to fiddle about with the elevator. It obviously doesn't work, and I know I didn't do any damage to anything because nothing fit in any crevice. Joy.

Time: Event +0:05-+0:08
I run to the front desk to see what's happening with my colleagues, and Colleague 2 grabs the walkie-talkies we have for productions and thrusts one in my hand. "For easier communication," she says.

Then I notice this guy standing in front of the counter. Oh bugger and blast, it's the Associate Director. He just has to be here NOW?! I think to myself. He asks a few suitably stupid questions like "how is the student?" How should I know?! "I'm going to find out now," I say, as I run awaaaaaaay from him. Unfortunately, he follows. Oh well. At least I tried.

Time: Event +0:08-+0:13
With the AD behind my back, I shout to the student to ask him if the fan is working, and if the lights are switched on, totally defying the standing order to speak to all students in English.

"Now they are," he replies in Chinese. "When are the people coming?"

"I don't know, soon, I think. They said they would come immediately, but I don't know exactly when," is my pathetic reply. I ask him if he's alright for now, and he replies in the affirmative. "I hope they come soon," is the boy's plaintive sigh.

I try the key again, and ask my colleague to check if there's any other key available in the key press box. I know for a fact that no such key exists because I just spent the last week of my life sorting through the junk that's hanging inside, but well, just for the AD's ear's sake, I had to ask. She replies that no, we don't have anything, and she can't search for anything now because she's handling something else. (Unbeknownst to me, there was another crisis taking place elsewhere, involving a missing timesheet.)

Time: Event +0:13
Repairman is here! Hurrah! Not. He tries his keys. Door won't open. We climb up and down with him, and he tries to open the lift door on levels 1 and 2, to no avail. He needs access to the motor room, which is on the roof. I don't have the key because PEOPLE DON'T GIVE ME ESSENTIAL KEYS, THEY LIKE TO KEEP THE POWER ALL TO THEMSELVES. So we have to wait for his colleague to arrive. I call the company facilities management team to tell them that I need the key, and they say OK, and ask if the student has pressed the telephone button, to ask for assistance. I shout this to the student, and then tell the facilities management team to BRING THE DAMNED KEY DOWN NOW.

By this time, the AD is feeling rather left-out. So much communication going around in front of him by this mere gurl, walkie-talkies, handphones, lift-telephones, shouting to students, and he doesn't get to make a single call? So he mutters, "I think the Deputy Director should know about this," and happily dials a number. So the DD's on his way down. I walk away to a discreet place and walkie-talkie my colleagues the warning.

My security guard bursts into the emergency staircase where I am, and brings along with him... another security guard? "What are you doing here?" I ask this guy. "I dunno, they ask me to come one," he tells me in a mat accent. "Who ask you to come one?" "The facilities management team. They said you call them."

Right. I tell them that I have a student trapped in a lift, and I need help, and they send me a security guard?! Nincompoops. I send him back to his original station (though not before asking him if he had any keys, or tools, or knowledge about anything regarding lifts and rescues.)

Time: Event +0:20
The other repairman is here! So they climb up and down and fix whatever it is. The DD had arrived by now, the door is popped, and student clambers out, very relieved. He thanks me, and thanks the AD and DD (what the heck for? I think, but I obviously let it slide.)

Time: Event +3:00 (approximate)
My director pays the building a visit, and he said that (thank God for amazing matters!) the AD had said that I handled the whole crisis very well. This gratifies me a little. But too little too late!



ASS KISSER

It's stuff like this that my life is now made up of. Very exciting, but very tiring. Ordinarily, I think I would enjoy it, but I really hate not getting understanding of what I do from the management. To them, it's just 20 minutes - why can't you do more work after that? they would ask. Because it was a very f***ing tiring 20 minutes, that's why, b*tch.

To top it all off, someone else is attaching his mouth to the newly-installed DD's ass, and sucking very hard. That's okay, I love seeing a freak-show, but when the freak-show brazenly STEALS MY WORK and PASSES IT OFF AS HIS OWN, oh man.

He's talking to the DD, and passing him some policies that I wrote, and not telling the DD that I did it. So obviously, the DD would think that he was the one who did it, right? Rules and regulations concerning the use of the building come under my jurisdiction, but no, this bastard just comes in, takes my work, and takes over, like he's done all this crawling through blood and shit all the time.

I thought about this a little, and I think it's a little funny that I still want to own this stuff that I don't like doing. But my colleague pointed out to me that although it wasn't anything I wanted to do, I still did it, and it's my work regardless - or more so, since I didn't like doing it in the first place.

So when this guy comes and takes credit for running the entire building, like he has any clue, oh man. That just takes the cake.



Why are these two posts together? Because I'm leaving soon, I shouldn't bother, right? But it really stings my pride when the DD comes to the building which you're supposed to be running, and speaks to EVERYONE ELSE but you, because he doesn't know that you're the one in charge of every f***ing little thing there, and he doesn't know any better. And when he speaks to you, he talks down, like I don't know what's going on in the building. BITE ME.


Oh, and another push factor to get out: my language is seriously deteriorating in this job. I have not cursed so much, EVER. I have used f*** in so many new permutations, I think I've discovered some new uses of the word. Need to get out. Soon. (Pull factor though - my bank statement just came in, and I have a -$9 deficit this month, thanks to my GRE and TOEFL $500+ expenditure. Yikes.)

[UPDATED - KillMeNow #7 and #8 - Lift and Ass-kisser]
Sngs Alumni @ 4.9.04 { 0 comments }

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


+ moi +

+ PDL +

Musings on Rick Warren's Purpose-Driven Life (PII)

||01||02||03||04||05||
||06||07||08||09||10||
||11||12||13||14||15||
||16||17||18||19||20||
||21||22||23||24||25||
||26||27||28||29||30||
||31||32||33||34||35||
||36||37||38||39||40||


+ twitter +

+ booksneeze+

I review for BookSneeze

+ best of the web +

[lilies of e field]
[missiepixie]

+ les liens +

[blogtrbc] [adetan] [airong] [aang] [aileen] [ben+yimei] [bunny] [C.Kam] [camellia] [celesta] [chloe] [cornball] [derek+serene] [di] [dims] [elaine] [evangeline] [eunice leow] [eunice soh] [ft] [I-V] [jae] [jason w] [jazzymoo] [jemTiong] [jerming] [jing] [juian] [julian] [kimmeeee] [leon] [lolitapop] [marcus wang] [mai HS] [mark lim] [meiyen] [minghui] [onesimus] [p.k.] [praisie] [puden] [puchuan] [qy] [sam.wong] [serena] [sharon] [sherryn] [shuhui] [simone] [skinnydrummer] [soaps] [soul survivor] [stan] [stee] [titus] [weilong] [yimei] [yining] [yunyu] [zhizhen]

[me@deviantArt]
[me@livejournal]
[me@YouTube]
[me@Multiply]
[me@Twitter]


+ before i die +

Stuff I'd Like
Lake Tahoe
Borobudor
Pyramids, Egypt
Laos
Boro Boro
Cambodia (Ankor Wat)
Taj Mahal
Bali
Great Ocean Road
Maldives to DIVE!
Great Barrier Reef to DIVE!
Christmas Island
See a penguin in the wild
Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil


make ur own map!


+ archives +

juillet 1990
décembre 1990
décembre 1998
mars 1999
novembre 1999
décembre 1999
janvier 2000
février 2000
mars 2000
novembre 2000
décembre 2001
janvier 2002
août 2002
septembre 2002
octobre 2002
décembre 2002
janvier 2003
février 2003
mars 2003
avril 2003
mai 2003
juin 2003
juillet 2003
août 2003
septembre 2003
octobre 2003
novembre 2003
décembre 2003
janvier 2004
février 2004
mars 2004
avril 2004
mai 2004
juin 2004
juillet 2004
août 2004
septembre 2004
octobre 2004
novembre 2004
décembre 2004
janvier 2005
février 2005
mars 2005
avril 2005
mai 2005
juin 2005
juillet 2005
août 2005
septembre 2005
octobre 2005
novembre 2005
décembre 2005
janvier 2006
février 2006
mars 2006
avril 2006
mai 2006
juin 2006
juillet 2006
août 2006
septembre 2006
octobre 2006
novembre 2006
décembre 2006
janvier 2007
février 2007
mars 2007
avril 2007
mai 2007
juin 2007
juillet 2007
août 2007
septembre 2007
octobre 2007
novembre 2007
décembre 2007
janvier 2008
février 2008
mars 2008
avril 2008
mai 2008
juin 2008
juillet 2008
août 2008
septembre 2008
octobre 2008
novembre 2008
décembre 2008
janvier 2009
février 2009
mars 2009
avril 2009
mai 2009
juin 2009
juillet 2009
août 2009
septembre 2009
octobre 2009
novembre 2009
décembre 2009
janvier 2010
février 2010
mars 2010
avril 2010
mai 2010
juin 2010
juillet 2010
août 2010
septembre 2010
octobre 2010
novembre 2010
décembre 2010
janvier 2011
février 2011
mars 2011
avril 2011
mai 2011
juin 2011
août 2011
septembre 2011
octobre 2011
novembre 2011
décembre 2011
janvier 2012
mars 2012
avril 2012
mai 2012
juin 2012
août 2012
novembre 2012



[lpsd 2003-2009.]